Sunfish size can be enormous. The average length of mature sea sunfish is 1.8 m (5.9 ft) and a fin-to-fin length is 2.5 m (8.2 ft). Mature samples can weigh from 247 to one thousand kilograms (545 to 2,205 lbs), but larger ones are also unheard of. Assembling a huge floating blob, the world’s largest bone marine fish or sea molafish.
Its specific name, mola is Latin for “milestone”, which resembles the fish because of its gray color, rough texture and rounded body. Its common English name, sunfish, refers to the habit of sunbathing on the surface of water.
Other Recommended Article
- Apistogramma Agassizii- Agassiz’s Dwarf Cichlid Profile
- Cuckoo Catfish – Care | Size | Tank Mates | Lifespan | Breeding
- Why does My Fish Tank Turn Green So Fast? Solutions
- Bala Shark Fish – Tank | Aquarium | Food | Lifespan | Size | Traits
- Comet Goldfish – Care | Lifespan | Breeding | Tank | Size | Traits
- Denison Barb Fish – Care | Size | Tank | Mates | Egg | Traits
- Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy – Care | Traits | Pregnant | Breed
- Red Mickey Mouse Platy – Care | Traits | Pregnant | Breeding
- Blue Mickey Mouse Platy Fish – Traits | Care | Fry | Pregnant
- German Blue Ram – Care | Temperature | Egg | Food | pH | Facts
- Fahaka Pufferfish – Care | Size | Feeding | Teeth | Tank | Traits
- Zebra Loach – Size | Temperature | Diet | Care | Facts | Tank
- Serpae Tetra – Care | Size | Temperature | Tank Mates | Breeding
- White Fin Rosy Tetra – Facts | Traits | Breeding | Care | Tank
- Lemon Tetra – Care – Size | Breeding | Tank Mates | Lifespan
- Kuhli Loach – Traits | Care | Food | Size | Tank | Lifespan | pH
- Hillstream Loach – Care | Size | Food | Breeding | Temperature
- Yoyo Loach – Size | Tank Mates | Lifespan | Breeding | Eggs
- Otocinclus Catfish – Size | Breeding | Tank | Mates | Care | Food
- Compatible Fish with Betta – List | Chart | Peaceful | Aggressive
Common Names: Ocean sunfish (mola), about 6 feet in size. Growth of captive sea sunfish, Molla mola sisan joshoku 55: 403-407. Mola is called sea sunfish or headfish, six species of marine fish in the Molidae family. The bullet-shaped molar has a distinct appearance.
The largest specimens reach 14 ft (4.2 m) fin-to-fin, and with a weight of 5000 lbs (2,262 tonnes), the sea sunfish is the heaviest known bone fish in the world.
The average sea sunfish is 10 feet long and weighs 2200 pounds, but the largest can grow up to 5,000 pounds. The average pickup truck is just 4000. This makes them the largest bone fish in the world.