Blackspot seabream, scientific name Pazel bogaraveo, also known as red marine, is a fish species in the Sparidae family. The Blackspot seabream extends from Norway to the East Atlantic, the Strait of Gibraltar, Mauritania, Madeira, the Canary Islands, and the western Mediterranean; It was also reported from Iceland.
In the North Atlantic waters between Norway, Normandy, Iceland, and the British Isles, Blackspot seabream is mostly found in the Mediterranean, near the islands and coast of the Atlantic, as in the Canary Islands. Fishes in the Atlantic usually live in deeper waters than in the Mediterranean.
The Blackspot seabream spends most of its life in the Mesoplastic or the Twilight region. It is generally reported to a depth of 150–300 m (490–980 ft), although it is reported to be 400 m deep in the Mediterranean and up to 700 m deep in the North Atlantic. The young of the species often live near the shoreline where the adult members often live on the continental shelf.
Blackspot seabream has a diverse diet but it feeds heavily on crustaceans, mollusks, and small fish. It can also eat tree matter.
The hydraulic hermaphroditic of the Black Sea. It is male at the beginning of its lifetime. Between the ages of 2 and 7, however, it becomes female. Spanning occurs in the first half of the calendar year.
Found along the northeast Atlantic from the Norwegian Sea and Iceland to Northwest Africa. Also found in the western Mediterranean.
Typically found in the rocky, sandy, and muddy bottom, 150 m to 700 m below. All indigenous but mostly feeding on crustaceans, mollusks, worms, and fish.
Most are caught using the bottom troll, handline, longline, trammel net, and gill net.
Other Recommended Articles
- Dog Face Puffer Fish – Profile | Care | Food | Reef Safe | Lifespan
- Peppermint Shrimp – Profile | Care | Tank | Breeding | Reef Safe
- Lawnmower Blenny Fish – Profile | Facts | Tank | Diet | Care
- Orange Spotted Blenny – Profile | Facts | Reef Safe | Spot | Tail
- Red Phantom Tetra – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Breeding | Size
- Dwarf Chain Loach – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Breeding
- Blood Parrot Cichlid – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Eggs | Food
- Cardinal Tetra – Profile | Care | Size | pH | Breeding | Temperature
- Catfish Species for Aquariums – Types of Aquarium Catfish
- Green Neon Tetra – Profile | Care | PH | Tank Mates | Breeding
- Glowlight Tetra – Profile | Care | Eggs | Breeding | Tankmates
- Honey Gourami Care – Guide | Fry | Male Female | Egg | Health
- Texas Cichlid – Care | Tank Mates | Breeding | Size | Temperature
- Demasoni Cichlid – Tank Mates | Male | Female | Care | Breeding
- Synodontis Petricola – Catfish | Size | Breeding | Care | Diet | Tank
- Yellow Lab Cichlid – Tank Mates | Size | Care | Breeding | Fry
- Black Phantom Tetra – Profile | Size | Tank Mates | Care | Breeding
- Black Neon Tetra – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Size | Breeding
- Forktail Blenny – Profile | Facts | Venom | Care | Biota
- Flametail Blenny Fish – Profile | Care | Reef Safe | Tank