The saithe, scientific name Pollachius virens is a species of marine fish of the genus Pollachius. It is commonly referred to as Pollock in the United States together with Pollachius pollachius.
Other names include Boston Blue (different than Blue Fish), coalfish/coley, and saithe in the UK, this small fish is called podleys in Scotland and Northern England.
This species showed the relative length of the upper and lower jaws on P. Can be distinguished from Palachias. P.
The lower jaw of Polachias is longer when P. The virus is approximately the upper and lower jaw length, has a very different profile on the head. In general, p. Pollachias are either brown or gold with a dark back.
The viruses are bright silver behind a very dark green color. P. Viruses generally appear to be relatively small. P. There is a noticeable knot on the invisible wings of the lateral line of the pollachias, while p. The edge of the violin is straight.
Coalfish meat (P. virions) is darker (hence the common name) and p. Like the other members of the cod family of Palachius, this dark color of freshly cooked meat cannot be eaten as a consequence of this fish’s uncanny reputation.
It is prevalent in the northern part of the North Atlantic, including the Bay of Biscay and the Palmas Altus campus.
Adults can usually live up to 5 – 20 years and can grow up to 5-12 cm, but weigh up to 5 cm (7 inches) and weigh up to 12 kg (71 (lb) are caught. There is a tendency to go deeper into the water.
The current IGFA All-Tackle World Record is 22.7kg (50 lbs) which was caught at Saltstremen, Norway.
Cytheus reaches sexual maturity at 4-9 years of age and is a fixed culture of ethnoporous, batch spanners. Females spend 500 to 9 million eggs, which are 1.0 to 1.3 mm in diameter, depending on their size.
Fisheries are used throughout the year using gear such as Danish sign nets, trawlers, long lines, and gill nets, and are often caught in mixed-species fishing with other groundfish species such as cod and white.
The main fishing areas of the East Atlantic are in the Barents Sea, in the vicinity of Iceland, in the vicinity of the Faroe Islands, and in the North Sea and the Celtic Sea. Landings in the East Atlantic fluctuated approximately 300-700 tonnes during the period 1980–2017.
All stocks in the East Atlantic are evaluated by ICES which publishes a recommendation on an annual basis for a total allowable catch.
The commercial catch along the West Atlantic has taken the USA and Canada and fluctuates around 4,000 tons per year between 8 and 20. The population of the West Atlantic is evaluated by the NOAA.
The four stocks evaluated in the East Atlantic and the stock in the West Atlantic have been steadily cut, and many have been proven sustainable by the Fishery Marine Stewardship Council.
Coalfish is edible and has commercial value, though it is significantly less expensive than premium white fish such as cod and haddock.
To achieve the salmon-orange color, it can be salted and smoked. In Germany, fish are usually sold under the name of sallachs (literally ‘marine salmon’), an advertising victory, since they are not closely related to any salmon.
Other Recommended Articles
- Dog Face Puffer Fish – Profile | Care | Food | Reef Safe | Lifespan
- Peppermint Shrimp – Profile | Care | Tank | Breeding | Reef Safe
- Lawnmower Blenny Fish – Profile | Facts | Tank | Diet | Care
- Orange Spotted Blenny – Profile | Facts | Reef Safe | Spot | Tail
- Red Phantom Tetra – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Breeding | Size
- Dwarf Chain Loach – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Breeding
- Blood Parrot Cichlid – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Eggs | Food
- Cardinal Tetra – Profile | Care | Size | pH | Breeding | Temperature
- Catfish Species for Aquariums – Types of Aquarium Catfish
- Green Neon Tetra – Profile | Care | PH | Tank Mates | Breeding
- Glowlight Tetra – Profile | Care | Eggs | Breeding | Tankmates
- Honey Gourami Care – Guide | Fry | Male Female | Egg | Health
- Texas Cichlid – Care | Tank Mates | Breeding | Size | Temperature
- Demasoni Cichlid – Tank Mates | Male | Female | Care | Breeding
- Synodontis Petricola – Catfish | Size | Breeding | Care | Diet | Tank
- Yellow Lab Cichlid – Tank Mates | Size | Care | Breeding | Fry
- Black Phantom Tetra – Profile | Size | Tank Mates | Care | Breeding
- Black Neon Tetra – Profile | Care | Tank Mates | Size | Breeding
- Forktail Blenny – Profile | Facts | Venom | Care | Biota
- Flametail Blenny Fish – Profile | Care | Reef Safe | Tank