The mangrove red snapper, scientific name Lutjanus argentimaculatus, generally referred to as mangrove jack inside Australia, is a species of snapper.
It’s also often known as creek red bream, the Stuart evader, canine bream, mangrove red snapper, red sea perch, red sea-perch, red bream, red perch, red reef bream, river roman, or rock barramundi.
This article will give an overview of mangrove red snapper facts, size, habitat, and description
Mangrove red snapper Distribution
The mangrove red snapper is native to the Indian Ocean and the western Pacific Ocean from the African coast to Samoa and the Line Islands and from the Ryukyus within the north to Australia within the south.
It has additionally been recorded from the coast of Lebanon within the Mediterranean Sea, having reached there from the Red Sea by the Suez Canal, although it’s not established within the Mediterranean.
The coloration of the mangrove red snapper ranges from burnt orange to copper, to bronze and darkish reddish-brown, relying on its age and setting.
Youthful fish caught in estuarine areas are sometimes darker than older fish taken from offshore reef areas and exhibit lighter vertical bands down their flanks.
Like different tropical snappers (household Lutjanidae), mangrove jacks have outstanding canine enamel of their jaws which might be used for seizing and holding prey. This enamel could cause nasty harm to unwary fishers.
In reef areas, mangrove red snappers are generally confused with two-spot red snapper or red bass, Lutjanus bohar, an identified provider of ciguatera toxin.
Other Recommended Articles
- Freshwater Needlefish – Description | Facts | Size | Care
- Keeltail Needlefish – Description | Facts | Dangerous
- Inshore Lizardfish – Facts | Diet | Fishing | Adaptation
- Skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) – Description | Facts
- Cuban Gar Fish – Description | Facts | Care | Size
- Tropical Gar Fish – Description | Care | Tank Mates
- Lepisosteus oculatus | Spotted Gar | Facts | Description
- Honey Gourami | Trichogaster chuna | Facts | Description
- Lepisosteus osseus | Longnose Gar | Description
- Brindled Madtom Catfish – Description | Facts | Food
- River Carpsucker – Description | Facts | Fishing
- Electric Catfish – Size | Care | Facts | Voltage
- Stream Catfish Description and Facts
- Madtom Catfish – Care | Range | Venom | Description
- Tadpole Madtom Catfish Range | Sting | Aquarium
- Florida Gar Fish – Size | Aquarium | Care | Lifespan
- Shortnose Gar Fish – Size | Diet | Record | Range | Facts
- Shark Catfish – Size | Food | Care | Tank Mates | Species
- Synodontis Catfish – Size | Food | Breeding | Care
- Pearl Gourami Fish – Size | Tank Mates | Description
The red bass, nonetheless, is often darker in coloration, has fewer dorsal-fin spines, scale rows on the again that rise obliquely from the lateral line, and a deep groove from the nostrils to the eyes.
The species is carnivorous: they’re predators, feeding primarily at night time on fishes, crustaceans, gastropods, and cephalopod mollusks.
As ambush predators, they usually dwell around mangrove roots, fallen bushes, rock partitions, and every other snag areas the place smaller prey reside for defense.
Habitat and behavior
As its title implies, the mangrove red snapper is often present in mangrove-lined estuarine techniques, though it is thought to emigrate to offshore reefs to spawn.
As they mature, mangrove red snappers transfer into open waters, generally tons of kilometers from the coast to breed.
These bigger fish are generally caught by bottom-fishers with heavy sort out, although they nonetheless stay tough to land resulting from their velocity and proximity to sharp reef bottoms.
Mangrove red snapper is a well-liked and essential industrial and leisure fish all through its vary and thought of to be a wonderful meal fish.
For fishermen, the telltale signal of a hooked mangrove purple snapper is the explosive run for canopy as soon as the bait (or lure) is taken.
Many fish (and so lures) are misplaced as soon as they attain the safety of the snags because of their preliminary burst of velocity.
The mangrove red snapper is an extremely regarded desk fish with the agency, sweet-tasting, white flesh.
Whereas usually a nuisance species when concentrating on the notorious barramundi, many fishermen fees the consuming qualities of the jack increased than it.