Acanthurus lineatus, the lined surgeonfish, or Achilles Tang is a member of the household Acanthuridae, the surgeonfishes. Other widespread names include blue-banded surgeonfish, blue-lined surgeonfish, clown surgeonfish, pyjama tang, striped surgeonfish, and zebra surgeonfish. In this article, I am going to talk about Achilles Tang tank size, care, size, hybrid, etc.
Achilles Tang Distribution
A. lineatus happens within the Indian Ocean from East Africa to the western Pacific Ocean to the Great Barrier Reef, Japan, Polynesia, and Hawaii.
The Achilles Tang is related to reefs, residing in marine waters just some meters deep. It is benthopelagic.
The fish is territorial, with a big male defending a feeding territory and a harem of females. The adults may additionally college, they usually collect en masse throughout spawning.
The juvenile is solitary. The fish is generally herbivorous, however would possibly eat crustaceans on occasions. Most of its weight loss plan is algae. It grazes throughout the day.
Achilles Tang Short description
Dorsal spines (total): 9; Dorsal delicate rays (whole): 27-30; Anal spines: 3; Anal delicate rays: 25 – 28. This species is distinguished by having the next characters: body deep and compressed, depth 2.1-3 occasions in standard size or SL (body of juveniles comparatively deeper than that of adults); snout 5.2-5.7 occasions in SL; mouth small; tooth spatulate, close-set, with denticulate edges; whole gill rakers on first-gill arch 14-16; steady unnotched dorsal fin IX,27-30 delicate rays; A III,25-28; caudal fin deeply lunate with concavity 3.3-4.5 occasions in SL; a lancet-like backbone on either side of caudal peduncle which folds right into a deep horizontal groove, this backbone long, 1.9-2.5 occasions in head size, and venomous; abdomen thin-walled.
Colour of the body with higher 3/Four with alternating black-edged blue and yellow stripes and people on the pinnacle primarily diagonal; decrease fourth pale lavender to bluish-white; dorsal fin finely striped pale blue and yellowish; anal fin gray with a yellow basal band and a light blue margin; caudal fin blackish with a big, gray crescent centroposteriorly, edged on the entrance in bluish-white and on the posterior margin with black; pectoral fins are pale besides basally the place they’re colored just like the body; pelvic fins yellow-orange with a white lateral margin and a blackish submarginal line.
Other Recommended Articles
- Pelican Eel – How does the Pelican Eel Survive?
- Bluegill vs Sunfish – Are sunfish and bluegill the same thing?
- Sharptail mola – Masturus lanceolatus Facts
- Best Places to Fly Fish in Washington State
- What are the Best Places to Fly Fish in Montana?
- The Role of Oscar in the Fish Hooks TV Series
- Oscar Fish – Beautiful Types of Oscar
- Mirror carp – Difference between Common and Mirror Carp
- Common Carp Facts – How Fast do Carp Grow?
- Why are Common Carp Invasive Species?
- Ctenopharyngodon idella – Grass Carp is the Largest Fish Production
- Types of Carp – What are the Common Types of Carp?
- What Do Carp Eat – What bait is Best for carp?
- Types of Gar – Mind Blowing Gars of the Water
- Gar Fish Eating – What is the Best Bait for Garfish?
- Garfish – Facts | Distribution | Adaptations | Egg | Recipe
- Alligator Gar Attack on Humans and Dog
- What do Gars Eat – What is the Best Bait for Garfish?
- Gar Fish teeth – Spotted | Alligator | Longnose | Florida
- Needlefish – Do Needlefish Attack Humans?
Achilles Tang Biology
Benthopelagic. Adults normally type faculties and generally present in shallow gutters. Juveniles solitary and secretive in shallow rubble habitats. A territorial species which is widespread in surge zones of uncovered seaward reefs. The giant male controls well-defined feeding territories and harems of females. The species is sort of frequently in movement.
Herbivorous but additionally feeds on crustaceans. Forms spawning aggregations. Diurnal species; courtship takes place at numerous occasions of the day, spawning peaks within the morning, however may additionally happen from noon to afternoon, and is commonly confined to ebb tides.
The venomous caudal backbone could cause painful wounds. Learn more about bichir tank mates.